Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Anger Management

Photo courtesy of Wildlife Pictures Online - providing quality wildlife photos from Africa

I've got to learn to control my anger. I get easily riled up and then like a burst dam, everything that is negative spills forth unchecked and uncontrolled. It is not very nice.

I tense up. My breathing becomes laboured. My heart starts to palpitate. My voice changes in pitch, speed and loudness. I tend to speak very fast when I am angry. I don't stop to think of the consequences. And the situation is often made worse by my anger. Sometimes a small thing escalates into something even bigger.

There are times when I was unable to express my anger due to circumstances. During those occassions, I find that things are much more controlled after the anger subsides. Things were later discussed in a calm manner which got better results. Sometimes I find that after the anger subsides theres even no reason for any further discussion ie the anger had no justification to begin with. So thanks to the circumstances I did not get worked up for nothing!

Instead of allowing "circumstances" to control the situation, I will control my anger from now on. Next time I get angry, I will count to 10 and shut my gap and see what happens. I'm going to let go of my anger. I will not let my anger control me, instead, I shall control my anger. So there!

Meanwhile, here's a quote to help me remember that:

"If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow." - Chinese Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment