Wednesday, September 6, 2006

About marriage and compatibility


What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility. ~George Levinger

I like the above marriage quote and can identify with it. My husband and I are so different we can hardly be called compatible. We're as different as night and day. He is a morning person, I'm a night owl. He is very organised, I'm terribly disorganised. He loves routine, I'm impulsive. He is meticulous, I am easy going. We like different foods, listen to different music. So opposites really do attract! Although our differences did not become apparent to me immediately when we first met.

To the above quote, I'd like to add that "What counts in making a happy marriage is how you handle your differences, its not about your similiarities." And we do have a lot of differences of opinion in many issues. How we handle those and how we eventually emerge as a couple from handling those differences is really what matters.
Meanwhile, here is another quote which I really would like to practise in my relationship.

Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate. ~Barnett R. Brickner

No comments:

Post a Comment